Some of you might know that one of the pleasant side effects of joining the MEET com is to be infected by the love of birding. Of course, there are a few who have been immuned to this side effect, to which till this day I still can remember their 'insensitive' one-liners when they hear me saying something about birds I see. I will continue to pray for them. *just kidding*
I recall fondly the days of waking up at 6am during a public holiday, excitedly making my way to Sungei Buloh Wetland Reserve by 7am to catch sight of the early birds feeding. Sights of the stork-billed kingfishers, purple herons, Blue-tailed Bee-eater, yellow-vented bulbuls, white-bellied sea eagles, brahminy kite and the migratory shore birds would send thrills up my spine. The sightings were the bonuses. The real deal was the opportunity to take a nature walk with friends.
My best loved birding spot is still Fraser's hill, Malaysia. Where else can you birdwatch in nice cool weather (=no mossies) with silver-eared mesias, chestnut-capped laughing thrushes and spider hunters appearing up-close nearly everywhere you go? =) Fraser's hill, my playground. I can write another entry about Fraser's hill alone.
When Charis came along, birding took a different turn. She survived the commando mossies in Sungei Buloh at 17 months, but have yet to pass birding 101-the most basic skill. No, it's not how to use a pair of binoculars, it's the skill of observing quietly. Sometimes, when we are birding at our backyard, all I'll hear is Charis shouting "Mummy, Berd---Fly!", her footsteps as she runs along the driveway. When the birds know where you are, they would not want you to know where they are. Charis has a lot to learn. =P
Nevertheless, after being here for some time, I've sighted some of the following birds without deliberately going to a nature trail.
Birds seen in my backyard
Magpie
Common Myna (lots in S'pore too)
Pied Currawong
Red whiskered Bulbul
Noisy Miner
New Holland Honey-eater
Willie wagtail
Silvereye (I thought they were olive-backed sunbirds!)
Birds seens elsewhere
Rainbow Lorikeet (they're bursting with colours!)
Crested pigeons
Sulphur-crested Cockatoo
Laughing kookaburra (distinct call)
Australian Pelican
Silver gulls (think 'Finding Nemo', mai-mai-mai)
Australian White Ibis (aka 'rubbish birds' according to KT)
For pictures of the above birds, you can click here.
Not as long a list as I would have liked, but still, am thankful for these sightings, some on a very frequent basis outside my kitchen window. =)
In God's grace, I guess birding for me, really started when I was 14, donning my blue and grey uniform, looking through the classroom door, at the white-collared kingfishers perching on the tree outside, obviously not having a clue what my teacher was saying. They were the first pretty birds I saw which led me to question about how this world is created. And then one thing led to another.
Birding reminds me of what a great and lavish God we have.
No comments:
Post a Comment