Tuesday, June 03, 2008

International Day 08


Monday was SMBC's annual International Day. As usual we have been encouraged to wear something distinctly from another culture, bring food from another culture and to put up a performance from a different culture.

I missed the outdoors and sunshine of the international day last year. Because of the rain, the event was held in the dining room. (Which explains the dark photos) It's not less exciting, but there was definitely less space to dance.

We bought some (Taiwanese-made) Japanese mochi to share, and we tried borrowing outfits from our church friends to wear for the event. Alas, Roger had difficulty getting something to wear and hence wore this T-shirt. Super international hor? =)




The first performance was by 3 students who played some Brazillian piece. They introduced the music and welcomed us to their rehearsal. =P I also took part in a turkish dance, (where I stepped on the foot of others most of the time, and Roger hung out with Charis near the food. Heh.) Lecturer Kirk Patston performed some tap dancing 'stunts' (in my view).


The most touching performance was to see my 3 caucasian aussie friends singing 2 Mandarin songs with 2 aussie chinese college mates (photo above). The aussie guy who played the guitar is himself going to minister in Taiwan with his family this November. They sang <<耶和华的心>> and taught everyone to sing <<在耶稣里我们是一家人>> which everyone gamely attempted.


Here's Kristen in a Tanzanian outfit. Look at Irwan on the right background. He's from Indonesia and he looks so natural in the sarong! =)

Ella (left) Dave (centre) and Hayden (right) dressed with a pirates theme. Hmm...are pirates considered a people group? =)

Julie and Daniel (left) with the tired and distracted Charis

We tried getting Charis and Sarah (right) to pose for a picture, but they had a different agenda altogether.

International Day has once again reminded me that my view of the world is so small. When I looked at unfamiliar international outfits, I realised that the world is truly bigger than what I imagined. There are really many many different cultures, languages and peoples. And all people need to hear about Jesus.

No comments: